Introduction To Housing
The objective of this one-day course is to provide you with a general awareness of key aspects of housing and current housing issues in Scotland. It will put social housing in context by looking at some past policies to show how current policies have been shaped.
The day will cover in broad terms how social housing is funded, regulated and the performance of social landlords monitored and how landlords manage rent. It will also look at the different types of housing tenure in Scotland and the ways social housing can be allocated.
• To provide a basic understanding of the context of housing in Scotland today and in recent history
• To have an awareness of different tenure types in Scotland including social and other rental tenures and private ownership
• To have a broad understanding of how social housing is allocated
• To have an awareness of the framework for monitoring performance of social landlords including rent management
• To have an awareness of current developments in Scottish housing
By the end of this course will be able to:
• Identify the different housing tenures
• Explain differences in types of landlord and tenancies
• Understand landlord’s and tenant’s rights and responsibilities
• Describe in broad terms the role of local authorities and RSLs in relation to allocations and performance management of their housing functions
• Appreciate current developments in Scottish housing
Who should attendAnyone who is new to the housing sector, anyone planning to move into a housing role and those who are in a housing role but wish to improve their general appreciation of the field in which they work.
Trainer InfoAlan Smith has been teaching in housing since 1992. He is self employed and has worked closely with the CIH delivering the Level 2 Certificates in Housing Practice and Housing Maintenance throughout Scotland. More recently he has also been involved in developing materials and delivering the Level 3 in Housing Practice to a number of groups throughout Scotland on behalf of CIH Scotland learning centre.
Dates & Locations31 Oct 2018, Holiday Inn Theatreland, Glasgow
Standard training fee - £260 + VAT
CIH member rate - £235 + VAT
CIH contributing organisation rate - £210 + VAT
* includes lunch